Wondering what to do with all your freshly picked apples? Why not make some delicious apple filling for pies or pastries? This easy recipe will fill the kitchen with tasty apple filling for any occasion. Plan a day to go to an apple orchard to pick your own apples! Click here to find out when the best season for apple picking is! For more Avonlea recipes, take a look at our Youtube Playlist, or take home the recipes yourself with the Cooking with Anne of Green Gables Set.
- 4 apples
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- First peel, core and dice the apples until they are bite-sized pieces.
- Place the apples in saucepan on medium heat.
- Add half a cup of water, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Also squeeze half a lemon into the pan as well. Stir together until apples are coated. Cover with lid and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- While the apples cook, in a separate bowl add 1/2 cup water and cornstarch. Stir until dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch into the apple mixture and stir for another 2 minutes. Apples will dissolve and will have a thick consistency.
- Remove from heat. Add the apple filling to ice cream, phyllo shells or sheets.
- If you're making pastries, make sure to add an egg wash and brown sugar coating.