We always have apple pie around the autumn season, but have you tried making apple shortbread? The sweet, yet hearty dessert is the perfect dish after Thanksgiving dinner! Find the full recipe and step-by-step video below! Who knows, maybe while you’re picking the perfect apples, Gilbert might appear…
1 hour 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 large apples
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- First make the shortbread. Stir together butter, sugar, vanilla and salt into a bowl. Then stir in flour.
- Kneed together and then place in an oven pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the base is cooking, make the apple filling.
- Core, skin and cut the apples into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the apples in a bowl with flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Next make the topping. In a separate bowl mix the flour, brown sugar and melted butter.
- After 15 minutes, remove the shortbread from oven. Layer the sugar and apples on the shortbread until there isn't any ingredients left.
- Turn up the oven to 350°F and bake again for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for at least 2 hours. Cut into squares and enjoy!