Josie Pye may be sour, but her homemade pop tarts are definitely delicious! Find the step-by-step recipe and video below! For more Avonlea recipes check out the Cooking with Anne of Green Gables Cookbook!
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- 10 phyllo sheets cut into strips
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Layer 5 phyllo sheets on the pan, brushing butter in between.
- On the fifth layer, add in a layer of raspberry jam, spreading evenly. Do not spread the jam too close to the edges or the jam will leak while the pop tarts bake.
- Add the next five layers on top, with butter in between.
- Brush the top and final layer with butter and cut into 8 rectangles. Do not separate the pastries fully, it will be easy to pull apart once baked.
- Bake from 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- In a bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla and water. Mix well.
- Drizzle the icing on each pop tart while it's still warm. Enjoy!