Try this strawberry shortbread recipe at your next summer gathering or tea party. This recipe isn’t too sweet and is best served with fresh strawberries. For more Avonlea recipes, take a look at our Youtube Playlist, or take home the recipes yourself with the Avonlea Cookbook.
1 day 6 hours 30 minutes
Country Living, Avonlea Cookbook
- 1 1/2 cup Sliced Rhubarb fresh or frozen
- 1 cup Sliced fresh strawberries plus more for garnish!
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp Confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 stick Cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 5 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until fruit is softened and beginning to break down, 2 to 4 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, pulse confectioners’ sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour in a food processor until combined, 4 to 5 times. Add butter, and pulse until a coarse meal forms, 10 to 12 times. Press mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until golden around edges, 16 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Puree rhubarb mixture in a food processor until very smooth, about 1 minute. Add eggs, egg yolks, zest, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar and process until smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. Add food coloring and 3 tablespoons flour and pulse just until smooth. Pour over crust.
- Bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 1 day. Cut into squares. Garnish with sliced strawberries.